I love my little adventures, one or two days of exploring by foot or bike, a chance to take a break from “normal life” and the lift that that gives to your mental and physical wellbeing.
But mine are “little”, I’ve been following Dan Beaumont on Instagram for a while now whose adventure definitely cannot be described as little. Dan is riding 10,000km around the UK documenting the stories of the people he meets along the way and raising awareness for the importance of time in nature, the great outdoors and adventure as a means to improve mental well-being.
He’s raising money for Mind over Mountains who help people struggling with mental challenges through life changing therapeutic outdoor experiences. He’s hoping to raise £10k a £1 for every mile he’s riding, so it would be great if you could donate.
A Little Adventure planned to join Dan’s Big Adventure
Dan finishes his big ride on 12 September in Kendal and he invited anyone who’s been following his progress to join him for the last 100k from Skipton to the finish. I’ve loved following the stories on his journey so leapt at the chance.
My plan is to:
- Cycle up the 146miles from Coventry to Skipton (Komoot route) on Friday
- Camp at Niffany campsite
- Do Skipton parkrun on Saturday morning (can’t miss my parkrun fix but I may walk it!)
- Join up with Dan and others on Saturday for a blether and some food & maybe a bit of local cycling
- Camp at Niffany again on Saturday night
- Sunday we will set off from Skipton as a group to cycle 100km to Kendal Castle, Dan’s “Finish Line”
- Find somewhere to wildcamp around Kendal Sunday night
- Travel back by train to Coventry on Monday morning
What are your adventure plans?
What Dan and I share, while our adventures might be different sizes, is an appreciation of just how good it is for your wellbeing to get outside and have an adventure. Have you had an outdoor adventure recently? Go on . . . get and plan one now, you won’t regret it, and please donate to Dan’s Just Giving page and share my awe of his big adventure.